Dura Supreme 2017/2018 Product Training and Trend Forecast
Posted: November 20, 2017
Village Home Stores has worked hard over the years to curate a list of product lines that offer our customers the very best value for their dollar. We believe strongly in building that list to include as much product made in the USA as possible. With every brand we offer, comes the responsibility to stay up-to-date with product knowledge and an awareness of anything new in the line. Therese is the newest member of the Kitchen & Bath Design team at Village. She just returned from a week-long training session with Dura Supreme and we wanted to share a bit of what she learned there.We know that you are probably not as interested in the product knowedge and training Therese received as you are to hear what is new and trending in the industry (don’t worry we will get there). Here is a quick recap of some of the highlights from her training. Most importantly, Dura Supreme is truly customized line of cabinetry! If you or your designer can dream it up, chances are Dura can build it just for you!
Each and every order that comes through the facilities in Howard Lake Minnesota is built to suit that custom order. Nothing is stocked or pre-made. That was the main element that stuck with Therese as she toured the Dura Supreme factory buildings.
“I didn’t realize until seeing it in person just how hands-on a cabinet order is to Dura Supreme. The entire cabinet order I am sending for my clients is handled step-by-step through the process. It is great to know that when my clients invest in Dura Supreme Cabinetry the product will be expertly crafted just for them.”
Having the ability to modify and customize cabinetry within a design gives our designers the freedom to truly find the best working design solution for our clients using every bit of space possible. A great design must function well… but you want it to look great too! Dura Supreme also gives our designers an almost limitless catalog of finishes to use for the perfect look.
Wood stains, laminated foils, painted finishes, plus weathered and custom patina options allow us to offer something for any taste. The “Personal Paint Match Program” from Dura Supreme allow you to use any Sherwin Williams paint color and apply it as a custom paint color for your cabinetry.
In addition to the extensive product training during the week, designers from across the country were presented with a 2018 trend forecast. We will be unpacking some of these trends in more detail as we head into 2018 but wanted to give you a general list of what 2018 is predicted to bring to the Kitchen & Bath Industry.
Kitchen & Bath Trends For 2018:
The trend forecast for 2018 was presented by industry expert Karen Wistrom. Karen is Vice President of Marketing at Dura Supreme and also sits on the National Color Board. Her expertise in the field of trend forecasting and industry news is a wealth of knowledge. This is why Dura has always been at the very frontlines of any upcoming trend. When grays were predicted to become big, Dura was at the ready with years of research and development into the best gray options to offer us.
The Midwest Approach:
Our market is still very interested in the clean and versatile look of a white, flat-panel kitchen. But some trends can be put into play without a large risk attached. For instance, in the Midwest we are truly on board with two-toned designs. Our customers love the look of a second finish on an island or built-in hutch area. Not every trend will impact a region the same. For example, while we may have some clients from time to time that fit into the “Contemporary” style category, that doesn’t represent our average client’s personal style. The sleek look of our Dura Surpeme front desk cabinetry and waterfalling counters (shown below) better represents much of what the West Coast markets are used to seeing. Not as common for us to be installing in the extended Quad Cities Region. But the key is we ave it available! We have something for any taste!
What’s Trending Now?
If you follow us here on our blog, or browse any websites or magazines at the checkout line then you have a pretty good handle on what is trending right now. Many times it can be hard to pin down a specific part of a space that you love. You can save 4 kitchen images for instance, to your own Houzz ideabook but perhaps its just the lighting in each that you really love. Here are some of the main trends we are seeing throughout the Kitchen & Bath industry right now:
- High Contrast! More two-toned designs with more contrast from finish-to-finish. Think a rich Navy Blue island with a White painted kitchen perimeter.
- Complete Color Neutral Designs and White-on-White spaces! Many designs have taken to a serene and minimal approach to finishing a space. Subtle palettes or Grays, Taupes and Beiges can create the perfect look. Classic looks of White-on-White continue to be a great look for Kitchens and Bathrooms. Keep in mind these color neutral designs don’t have to be void of a pop of color! They actually make for an even better showcase for colorful accents.
- Playing With Scale and Numbers! A great example of this is the shift away from the “rule of threes” approach to lighting above a kitchen island. In place of three small pendants, consider two larger fixtures. Or what about one large statement light above an island?
So What’s Trending Next?
The trends predicted to make a big impact in 2018 are many that we have been “dipping our toe in” so-to-speak for awhile. Many of the trends we have already began to use for clients and showcase in our Geneseo Showroom. Here is what you can expect to see next:
- Black Finishes! We have began to see the shift from black accents like an island, or crown molding and instead seeing larger amounts or a dark, rich black painted finish. In 2017 we had a handful of completed kitchens that were 80-100% black painted cabinets.
- Brass! Gold continues to stay on trend but a softer brushed look is starting to take the lead with this trend. Brushed brass, and warm champagne bronze finishes will continue to be popular. We see this trend for our Midwest market to be used in accessories hardware, and lighting. Plus we are very excited for Whirlpool® to launch the new Sunset Bronze appliance finish in 2018!
- Oak! Yeah. For real! Oak is making a comeback! That may come as more of a shock for other markets because here in the Midwest, we never really saw a complete step back from Oak finishes in the home. In 2018 you will begin to see more lifestyle blogs and magazines showcasing the Oak woodgrain again! Keep an eye out for cerused or a pickled/limed look on Oak woods.
- Mirrors! This is another trend that has been very easy to get our clients on board with. Including mirrors in your finished designs help to make a space seem larger and bounce light aroudn to help it seem brighter. What we love for cabinet design is the use of mirror instead of glass for doors. This gives a great look but no pressure to build a “display” or items behind it.
The Big Color For 2018…Green!
While we will continue to see rich, deep blue colors in the upcoming years, Green will lobby for our attention too! From rich, Emerald jewel-tones to bright, vibrant punches of color. Green will become a staple of both permanent finishes and home accents in the upcoming years. We have already began to see completed Kitchens and Bathrooms from our colleagues using rich, green cabinetry as well as muted, dusty green tones that pair well with grays.
We will be showcasing more of these trends in detail on the blog over the next few months. Learn more about Dura Supreme and browse their finish options here on their website. Are you interested in beginning a project with us using this incredible product? Contact us today to get started. You can reach us at (309) 944-1344 or by completing the short contact form here. We can’t wait to hear what you are working on.